- Increase public awareness of the benefits of local businesses through campaigns including Buy Local Month and Eat Local Month.
- Promote a level playing field through economic development practices that support our homegrown businesses.
- Strengthen ‘Local Preference’ policies to encourage municipalities and institutions to award contracts to local businesses
- Educate citizens, media, and policymakers on the civic, economic and environmental benefits of supporting locally-headquartered businesses.
- Help businesses implement triple bottom line models of people, planet, and profit.
- Address workforce hiring and retention issues through education on supportive worker policies and other ‘high road’ business best practices.
- Encourage local developers to proactively incorporate space that is “right-sized” and affordable for local businesses in commercial development.
- Advocate for land-use planning, zoning, and policy to help local businesses thrive including: bike, transit, and pedestrian-oriented improvements; street and façade improvements; and affordable housing/commercial space.
- Grow the presence of ‘Formula Business’ districts to ensure our communities are aesthetically unique and economically diverse, while preventing homogenization by chain businesses.